I saw this segment on a wonderful website All Thing Healing.com. I approached Sandra Ingerman for permission to translate a portion into Spanish–she graciously said Yes! Several people have asked for it in its original form (English)–here it is–I’ve added the numbers.
Entire article at: http://www.allthingshealing.com/Shamanism/How-to-Heal-Toxic-Thoughts/7384
In November, 2007 I wrote 10 Ways to Transform Toxic Thoughts for a website called Beliefnet.com. Here are some ways to try to work with the energetic around your problematic thoughts and emotions. In this way you begin to radiate love and light in the world creating change for all of life.
1) Breathing is one of the simplest ways to transform energy. This is an exercise you can do throughout your day: Place your hands on your heart and feel your heart moving as you breathe. This is calming, and feeds the energy of love, peace, and harmony in the world.
2) Before reacting to a challenging situation, try emoting as you watch your reflection in a mirror. No one wants to see herself acting out in a toxic way. You may feel silly, but don’t let this stop you. Taking ourselves too seriously is one of the causes of negative thoughts.
3) Stress can make us act in ways we might regret later on. It is OK to have problematic emotions, and it’s important to acknowledge your feelings. Just be careful not to send the energy as a “poison dart” to yourself, others, or into the world.
4) The energy behind your emotions goes to all living beings. If confronted by someone who triggers problematic emotions for you, think of a loved one and impose his or her image on the face of person challenging you. For example, you might work with the face of a baby kitten, puppy, or your favorite flower.
5) Your words, like thoughts and emotions, have the power to change your experience and the world we live in. This applies to both the words we say out loud to others as well as self-talk. If you tell yourself that you’re not a good person, you begin to manifest this reality. Fill your mind with positive words and this is how your life will unfold. “Abraq ad habra” is Aramaic and means “I will create as I speak”. We said this phrase many times as children as “abracadabra” without knowing what we were really saying.
6) Never pity others who you perceive as suffering – this only pushes them deeper into a hold. When you see people in their divine light and perfection you help give them the strength they need to deal with their troubles. Remember that your perception creates your reality.
7) We are part of nature. When we are in a state of stress we are cut off from the nurturing we receive from the elements – earth, air, water, and fire (as in the sun) – and we can actually become ill. Nature is a great healer. Take time out and connect with the natural world whenever you can.
8) The life-force of water can wash away your pain, and the simplest activities can have a healing effect. As you wash your hands, take a shower, or stand in the rain, visualize negative energy flowing from you and being transformed into light.
9) If you feel someone is psychically attacking you or being energetically hostile toward you, imagine a protective light surrounding you. Some people think of a white energy field; I imagine being enclosed in a translucent blue egg. Find a color that works for you. This will protect you from any harmful energies being sent your way.
10) You do not have to be the receiver of negative and toxic energy from others. You can return the energy you don’t wish to receive with love. Responding with love will prevent you from moving into attack position and creating more negative energy. It is only love that heals.